for the pigeon to fly in and out were built high above the bricked-up
entrances to the
caves which were interconnected by a passageway.
West Doo Cave contained a number of markings, which have thankfully
been recorded in the ‘Proceedings of the Antiquarian Society’.
Sadly the West Doo Cave collapsed during the First World War when
there was a battery above these caves and guns were frequently fired.
All that is left now is a big hollow above and to the side of the
East Doo Cave.
On counting the pigeon boxes in the East Doo Cave there were found
to be 92, however with silting up of the floor now only about 70
can be counted, some doubles. Pigeons still nest in the Cave but
only on the high ledges. Mud from the collapsed West Doo Cave ran
down the connecting passage into the East Doo Cave so that the floor
of the Cave now rises at the back. There is also a small seepage
of water down the west side making a deep gulley. In 1945 a fierce
storm washed away the sea wall. There are no
markings in this Cave.